Happy first day of autumn everyone! The leaves are changing, the air is crisp, and we're all walking around saying how happy we are to be welcoming the cooler weather, when in reality we're all silently lamenting the loss of summer. Welcome to this fresh new season!
As I hinted at yesterday I've whipped up this soup to ring in the new season with open arms and warm bellies. This tastes exactly how it looks, warm and inviting. And despite this being completely vegan there's a definite creaminess that lines the body with autumnal happiness.
The ginger adds a slight spiciness that is definitely "there" but not at all overpowering, the apples lend a certain sweetness, and the carrots make it all earthy and balanced. In short this is a soup for the season.
And as are most things that I churn out of my kitchen, this is super simple and is definitely something that can be whipped up for a quick weeknight meal. It's also so utterly tasty that you'll likely be making it for your next dinner party/potluck/gathering-of-people-you-invite-just-to-impress-with-soup. Seriously friends, this is a winner.
Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go eat more soup and then put on my cutest fall boots and find a pile of leaves to jump in.
Keep reading for the recipe!
Carrot Apple and Ginger Soup
adapted from Joy the Baker
3 tablespoons coconut oil (can be substituted with other cooking oil, but this is easily my favourite)
1 small yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 inches fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
7-8 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups vegetable broth
salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Over medium heat, add oil and onions to a medium soup pot. Cook the onions until tender and just started to change colour
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook until nice and fragrant (about 1 minute)
- Add the carrots and apple and mix into the onion, garlic, ginger combination and continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes or until your apples are softened and your carrots are just starting to become so
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the combination to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until your carrots are very tender
- Using either a hand blender or standing blender blend the soup until it's one even consistency. (if you're using a standing blender, transfer the soup in portions until complete ensuring not to fill the blender too much or you'll have a great mess to clean up)
- Taste test it here and then stir in salt and pepper to taste. I used about 1/2 - 1 tsp of course salt and the same of fresh ground black pepper. You may not find this step necessary - let your individual tastes decide
- Scoop into bowls and enjoy!