The summer is flying by and I am feeling great! It's been an amazing summer so far but it's scary to think about the fact that I'll be flying back to China in just two and half weeks (already!?).
Because we should all be spending our time making the most of the long days and warm breezes this post is going to be short. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously. This is a serious salad. Broccoli and cauliflower join carrot, seeds and cranberries to do a bit of dance with mint and lemon and they are all working hard to fill you up with all kinds of yummy goodness so that you can feel a little less guilty about that last glass (or two!) of pink wine - and really, when it comes down to it, we should never feel guilty about a little pink wine now and then.
This salad is packed with only great for you foods and was a nice, light, accompaniment to this soup. A food processor is highly recommended to make this a snap to make, but if you feel like you need to spend some time in a zen state, allow this salad to lead you there with a good bit of ol' fashioned chopping!
Enjoy as a meal in itself, a side, or even as a topping (great on veggie burgers!) and share that glass or two with a friend.
Summer Detox Salad
adapted from Oh She Glows
2 heads broccoli, stems removed
1 head cauliflower, stems removed
3 small-medium carrots, shredded
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
juice of 1 lemon
kosher salt, pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp salt and lots of pepper)
4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2-3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Chop the broccoli and cauliflower so that it is quite fine - use the food processor to save yourself a lot of time and effort. Place both into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, raisins, and mint.
- Mix in the lemon juice, vinegar, oil and syrup.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- If the salad isn't "dressed" enough for your tastes gradually add more of the wet ingredients and alter to your desired tastes.
- Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes (the more time the better!) before serving