Like all Canadians I tend to revel in the warming weather and all that it brings along with it - particularly the abundant growing season. There isn't a whole lot that's more exciting than finding spring's fresh greens that you know will lead to summer's bounty.
And the first berries of the season? Watch out. Food tastes like food again and nothing is sweeter than a bright red, freshly picked, local strawberry. In fact I'm hoping to go strawberry picking this weekend so I can really stock up on this summer staple.
In my mind, the first crop of the season was always going to be just one thing - these strawberry doughnuts, and the lemon glaze was a no brainer to keep it all in balance. And I'm super happy I did! These were nice and cake-y and the strawberries added an awesome burst of flavour in every bite. The glaze was a nice tart/sweet finish.
In the photos you'll notice that the doughnuts look barely glazed, but in fact they were twice submerged with hardening time in between. Next time I make these (and there will definitely be a next time!) I'm going to make a thicker glaze, partly because I like how it looks, and partly because I like the ever so slight crunch on the outside before getting to the cake-like inside. The flavour is all there, but the visual isn't quite on point for me (I'm picky). Glaze recipe below adjusted accordingly.
Well we should probably just get to what we all came here for, the recipe!
Keep reading for more!
Strawberry Doughnuts with Lemon Glaze
base dough recipe adapted from A Happy Food Dance
makes 12 doughnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup and 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup buttermilk (make your own using a splash of vinegar or lemon juice and topping off with milk, allow to sit for 5 minutes)
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries, diced
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioner's / icing sugar
1 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp lemon
zest of 1/2 - 1 lemon (optional)
- Set oven to 425 F and grease your doughnut pan
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, honey, butter and vanilla
- Slowly add wet ingredients into dry ingredients stirring until mixture is just mixed
- Add 1 cup strawberries and slowly mix in until just combined
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared doughnut pan - filling about 2/3 - 3/4 full
- Bake at 425 F for 8 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean
- Allow to cool slightly (a few minutes) in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- When cooled, dip in doughnuts glaze and return to wire rack (ensure to put parchment paper under the rack to catch any drips!