It’s the end of summer already!? I’m a week into classes already!? It’s basically September, ALREADY!? I can’t even begin to understand where time went, it’s vanished faster than my ice cream sandwiches!
I was on the go a lot this summer, in fact I barely spent more than three nights in the same place before moving on to the next. In a word it was hectic. It meant a lot of on-the-go food and drinks which was often delicious but most costly and not the healthiest. I wish I had these granola bars with me everywhere I went - tasty, filling, and packed full of yummy goodness these hit the spot for so many different occasions.
Travelling and wary of airplane food - check! (I kept a couple of these in my purse on a flight to the UK this summer and they were the perfect breakfast after my overnight flight, and on my train journey several hours later!)
Need a pick-me-up during/after work? - check!
Plain greek yogurt in the fridge? - check! (just crumble it up on top)
Going hiking, need a snack? - check!
Just really like granola bars? - double check!
These came together in a snap, and to avoid buying too many bulk ingredients I swapped in a box of Dorset Cereal as the main mix (with a few extras for good measure). So simple, and because Dorset cereals don't coat their granolas, I was still in complete control of exactly what went into these - win win! (No, this is not a sponsored post, I'm just a fan of simplicity)
As you can see these are a bit crumbly when cutting, those are the best if kept separately and sprinkled on plain yogurt or ice cream!
Honey Almond Granola Bars
4 cups Simply Delicious Meusli (Dorset brand cereal)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 - 1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup almond butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a large heat-safe bowl mix together the muesli, cranberries and walnuts - set aside
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, met together the coconut oil, almond butter and brown sugar
- Stir in the cinnamon, salt, vanilla and honey - simmer gently, stirring often until all ingredients are well combined and the mixture is smooth
- Remove from heat and add to the muesli mixture, stir to combine
- Spred the mixture in a 9x13 foil or parchment lined baking pan (allow overhang for easy removal later) and press it down well
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges begin to darken
- Allow to cool completely, remove from pan and cut into bars