How fancy did I feel when I ate this breakfast parfait? Very. After making this, I decided to put my food in wine glasses more often. Because sometimes, it's nice to feel a little jazzy for no reason.
The parfait portion of the meal was fully inspired by Kevin of Closet Cooking. I've been a long time reader of his, and he has yet to disappoint.
The actual quinoa in this dish is something I make fairly often. It's warm, satisfying, and just the right amount of sweet to be breakfast and not dessert. Together, this was the perfect casually fancy breakfast! Would be extraordinarily simple to make for a crowd, or just for you when you need a little elegance in your morning.
The quinoa featured here is both vegan and crazy adaptable. Other Half likes to eat it as is, but I love adding fresh and dried fruits, yogurts, etc to make it even more special. This would be sing with sauteed peaches, or bananas, or apples. It would be divine with fresh mixed berries. It would stun with dried cranberries and apricots. It's obvious that the possibilities are endless. Try some out, and report back. I want to know what your favourite is!
makes four servings
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup almond milk (can use any other kind of milk, but I prefer almond for the extra nuttiness and richness it provides to the quinoa)
2 Tbsp brown sugar (could also use honey!)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine quinoa and almond milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Once the milk has warmed, stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until all of the milk is absorbed - about 20 minutes.
- You can eat as is, or turn it in to a classy parfait!
For the parfait (per serving):
- All measurements are for the entire parfait, divide into as many layers as desired.
- Layer approximate 1/4 - 1/3 cup of greek yogurt with 1/3 - 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/4 - 1/3 cup of quinoa
- Top with a few extra blueberries and enjoy!