It was my Birthday yesterday and I turned a scary age. Never in my life have I dreamed of being older. From the time I was 10, I knew I was in the glory days of life. I was pretty sure there was no better age than the one I was living and I have no single memory of thinking "When I'm older, I'll be able to...." While I've mellowed out (a little bit) about the idea of getting older, I still have a mini freak out each year at the thought of growing up, and gaining more and more responsibilities to carry around (this whole sentence makes me sound like a terrible person, maybe I am). Each year however I realize I never feel different than the day before, and I get over it pretty quickly. But this year feels different. No, I didn't turn 30 or anything like that - I turned the big 2-9. The age every woman claims to be as soon as she is older than that.
This year I'm very conscious of being in the last year of my 20's. Even though I feel very far away from my early 20's (and in many ways happy about it), I can't shake the feeling that it's somehow a big shift. I've never felt 'old' or even very 'mature' and I still don't, but the last couple of days have been hard.
I think we can all agree I just need to take a deep breath, put on my big girl pants and hope it passes like all the years before, yes? Hmmm I'll work on that.
In the mean time, let's take a gander together at some of the great things the world wide web has to offer us!
- I'm a bit of an environmentalist (like, quite a bit) and while each new solution for issues we create as humans has it's own set of problems, this one out of Harvard is quite interesting. (via PolicyMic)
- Oh The Hairpin, you appeal to my heavily sarcastic soul so much. Recently they've delighted with Horoscopes from Galactic Rabbits and plots from my childhood fave Goosebumps illustrated from memory. (via The Hairpin)
- The story of the artist who created a book detailing all possible colour combinations 271 years before Pantone ever existed has been all over the place, if you haven't seen it yet it's an interesting read. (via This is Colossal)
- Recently, a student at school wrote an excellent speech on the importance of the comma. I think she would have really enjoyed this. (via HowStuffWorks)
- After discussing the word "sup" and it's general overuse (which, naturally, got more intense as soon as I told a room full of 16 year olds I was tired of it) I'd like to believe that this man's point is true. But clearly this author has never received an essay with "r" and "u" (instead of "are" and "you"). (via Time)
- I've been rocking a range of these desktop wallpapers lately and loving it. (via DesignLoveFest)