Do you need to read that again to believe it? Double. Chocolate. Red. Wine. Cookies.
That's what I have for you today and to be sure, this is an adult cookie. This is a sexy adult cookie. This is the Jessica Rabbit of cookies.
These cookies are dark and rich, soft and chewy, indulgent and divine. Not to mention they fit so many occasions. Do you need to impress your mother-in-law? Check. Do you need the perfect treat for a girls night in? Check. Do you need something that touches on the romantic side of things a bit better than your average peanut butter cookie? Check. Basically, check, check, check!
There is no way a double chocolate red wine cookie couldn't be an intense flavour experience. These cookies are graced with a deep chocolatey flavour that ends with a hint of red wine. They will make you question whether you can get away with adding booze to every cookie you ever make again. Grand Marnier Dark Chocolate Cookies anyone? Yes, please! I think we're on to something here...
It's starting to sound like i'm having a full on love affair with these cookies. I'm not, but I'd like to. Other Half was so pleased with these that I don't even think he would mind.
On a different note, we are experiencing some big internet problems here on the mainland (again!) so if posting is light, it's not because I don't want to post, it's because the Great FireWall is doing everything in its power to stop me. Excuse me while I go drown my frustrations in about 5 more of the decadent treats.
Let's look at how to pull these off, shall we?
Recipe Note: I don't have a lot of choice for red wines here (many are awful, many are extraordinarily expensive, and even more are a combination of the two). But I figure, if you like to drink it, you'll like to eat it!
Double Chocolate Red Wine Cookies
Adapted from, Keep It Simple Foods
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 - 1 cup brown sugar, packed (I used somewhere in the middle)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup red wine
1 bag (10 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 200 degrees C
- In a small mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugars
- Stir in the egg, vanilla, and wine - set aside
- In a larger mixing bowl mix together your dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda). When mixed, create a well in the middle and slowly pour in the wet mixture.
- Stir together until well combined and then fold in the chocolate chips
- Take a couple bites of cookie dough - because you want to
- Drop the dough mixture by spoonfuls onto a prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart
- Pop in the oven and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven allow to cool slightly before moving them to a wire rack and just try not to eat the whole batch before cool.